Monday, March 14, 2011

How I met Jesus: pt2

So after being active in ministry for a while I was reasonability versed in Christian ethics and theology.

I didn't know much about love.

I WAS NEVER VERY GOOD AT RELATIONSHIPS
I'd had a few girlfriends, but none that lasted longer than a few weeks.

I dated a girl that was a model for a little while.
Everywhere we went guys would look at her with desire and then look at me with confusion.
Also, girls would look at her in a way that I'm not qualified to interpret, and then they would look at me with interest.

After a dating for close to a year I thought the curse was finally lifted.
Then she dropped the bomb.
She said that she was feeling really convicted because I was 'such a great guy'.
She admitted that she was a heroine addict and that she wanted me to go with her to ask her parents to take her to rehab.
So I did, and that was the end of that.  Not much communication in rehab.

SETTING THE STAGE
Anyway, I was lamenting to my Pastor about my girl troubles.
I told him that I wanted to try dating a Christian girl.

I started dating a girl that grew up in my dad's church.
I was working in Fairfax and she was going to school a couple hours west.
We took it pretty slow during the spring semester.
Although we had plenty of phone calls where we didn't say anything but also didn't make any effort to end the call either.
Over the summer we were with each other constantly.

SHE MADE ME A MIX TAPE
I was pretty psyched.
I've made dozens of mix tapes for girls, but no girl had ever made me a tape.
It was a mix of Christian Ska.
I hated Christian music and I hated Ska.
So I didn't listen to it.

After she went back to school in the fall I missed her terribly.
I saw her tape and took it to work with me.
I was a night security guard.
I doing my patrol, wearing headphones, listening to Christian Ska.
I was in love.

Halfway through my patrol something the singer said caught my attention.
I stopped in mid stride and thought about what he said.
I radioed into the other guard and switched from patrol to the maindesk.
I rewound the tape a bit and listened again.
I was starting to feel very emotional.
I rewound the tape a bit one more time and listened again.
I started to cry.

The singer said,

'He loves you and He would rather die than live without you.'

Someone loved me so much that they couldn't live without me.
Prior to salvation, after we died... God was never going to see us again... a He couldn't live with that.
This is real.
And there was no guarantee, Jesus gave his life for me without any promise of reciprocating love.
Jesus has epic love for me.

It used to be so hard for me to understand the mechanics of salvation.
All it took was understanding true love.
It was no longer about sin and holiness, Heaven and Hell, taking advantage of fabulous deal...
it was a love story.

It was weeks before I could talk to anyone about what happened.
FWIW, here's the song


What's your love story?

No comments:

Post a Comment